Patient Instructions for Post-Ultrasound Guided Sclerotherapy
Now that your treatment is complete, our physicians at SMIL Medical Imaging recommend that you sleep in your compression hose the first night, then wear the hose during waking hours for the next 10 days.
You may experience discomfort such as aching or throbbing for the first day or two after your initial treatment. Walking should help reduce this sensation. If discomfort continues, Advil, Nuprin, or ibuprofen may be taken with food. The treated areas may appear to turn dark in color and/or be slightly tender. This could be residual blood in the closed vessels, resulting in a hard lumpy feeling under the skin. This is normal and will be evaluated at the time of your follow-up office visit. You may see some bruising. Do not be alarmed, again this is normal.
- Hot tubs, saunas and long hot baths are not recommended for 1 week following treatment.
- Postpone shaving for 2 days to avoid further irritation.
- Sun exposure is not recommended for 10 days after your treatment. Areas that have been treated will be tender and more likely to burn and may contribute to hyperpigmentation (darkening) changes.
- Avoid high impact exercise such as aerobics or weight training for 10 days.
- You may apply lotions as desired.
- Exercise is an important part of the healing process. A 20 minute walk twice a day is helpful for the healing process. If you are already involved in a light exercise program, we encourage you to continue.
It is important to remember that it has often taken years for these veins to develop, and they will not disappear overnight. Please be patient and allow time for healing to occur.
Always bring your compression hose to your Vein Clinic appointments. Bring shorts to wear during your treatment.
Call the SMIL Vein Clinic at (480) 425-4150 with any treatment or recovery questions.