Patient Instructions for a Sclerotherapy procedure
Now that your treatment is complete, our physicians at SMIL Medical Imaging recommend that you wear your support hose for several days, taking them off only at night. You can never wear them too much.
You may experience slight discomfort such as aching or throbbing for the first day or two after your initial treatment. Walking will help relieve this sensation. If discomfort continues, Advil, Nuprin, or ibuprofen may be taken with food.. Bruising may occur. Do not be alarmed, this is a normal process.
- Hot tubs, saunas and long hot baths are not recommended for 1 week following treatment.
- Postpone shaving for 2 days.
- Sun exposure is not recommended for 10 days after your treatment. Areas that have been treated will be tender and more likely to burn
- Avoid high impact aerobics.
- You may apply lotions as desired.
- Exercise is an important part of the healing process. A 20 minute walk twice a day is helpful for the healing process. If you are already involved in an exercise program, we encourage you to continue.
It is important to remember that it has probably taken years for these veins to develop, and they will not disappear overnight. Around the same time that your bruising resolves (10 days - 2 weeks), you will also begin to see the fading and lightening of your spider veins. Please be patient and allow time for healing to occur, and remember: your first two appointments are extremely important.
Always bring your compression hose to your appointments. Bring shorts to wear during your treatment.
Call the Vein Clinic at (480) 425-4150 with any questions or concerns that you may have regarding your treatment.