About the Scan – Obstetric Ultrasound
SMIL offers an obstetric ultrasound exam to view an embryo or fetus within a woman’s uterus, as well as the mother’s uterus and ovaries. During an obstetric ultrasound, a SMIL radiologist can asses the fetus for normal growth and develeopment.
Obstetric ultrasound is a useful clinical test to:
Establish the presence of a living embryo/fetus
- Estimate the age of the pregnancy
- Diagnose congenital abnormalities of the fetus
- Evaluate the position of the fetus
- Evaluate the position of the placenta
- Determine if there are multiple pregnancies
- Determine the amount of amniotic fluid around the baby
- Check for opening or shortening of the cervix
- Assess fetal growth
- Assess fetal well-being
Learn how to prepare for an obstetric ultrasound exam in the preparations for an obstetric ultrasound exam section.
Find out more about obstetric ultrasound exams in the benefits and risks of an obstetric ultrasound exam section.
For a downloadable/printable PDF about this exam with preparation instructions click here.