Breast MR Scan
SMIL offers a breast MR scan to assess abnormalities in the breasts including breast lumps and signs of breast cancer. A breast MR scan is a diagnostic procedure that produces detailed images of soft tissues and structures inside the breasts. Recent research has found that MRI can locate some small breast lesions sometimes missed by other breast imaging.
SMIL performs breast MR scans in the Scottsdale and Gilbert, Arizona area. Breast MR scans are particularly useful for women who are at high risk of breast cancer. Some other common uses of a breast MR scan include:
- Further evaluation of abnormalities detected by mammography.
- Finding early breast cancers not detected by other tests, especially in women at high risk and women with dense breast tissue.
- Examination for cancer in women who have implants or scar tissue that might produce an inaccurate result from other breast imaging.
- Evaluate the size and precise location of breast cancer lesions.
- Detecting changes in the other breast that has not been newly diagnosed with breast cancer.
- Detection of the spread of breast cancer.
- Detection of breast cancer recurrence or residual tumor after lumpectomy.
Learn how to prepare for a breast MR scan in the preparations for a breast MR scan section.
Find out if this procedure is right for you in the benefits and risks of a breast MR scan section.
For a downloadable/printable PDF about this exam with preparation instructions click here.